The City of Decatur is currently accepting applications for the position of a WATER OPERATOR. Interested persons should submit an application to City Hall no later than 4:30 on Friday January 20, 2017. The position works under the direction of the Water Manager and performs entry level water systems operations and maintenance of the City’s water system.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Reads water meters throughout the city
- Performs installation, cleaning, operation, maintenance and repair of the City’s water systems and supply
- Inspects, installs, and repairs water meters of various sizes
- Coordinates meter problems with supervisor and utility billing
- Completes work orders and various other records pertaining to work activities and assists in security checks
- Monitors water lines looking for leaks, breaks, or other situations which pose a threat to the waterlines, mains, and services
- Observe and actively participate in work zone safety procedures and follow safety principles when operating vehicles and equipment
- Operate, clean and maintain tools, vehicles, and equipment to assure proper working order
- Ability to furnish and obtain information from other departments. Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions. Must be able to communicate with tact and skill when dealing with the public and promote a high level of customer service and good public relations
- Participates in the on call rotation, 24 hour emergency response
- All other duties and responsibilities as required
The incumbent must have a high school diploma or GED; must be able to obtain a water operator I license within one year of assuming position; must have a valid driver’s license; must be willing to work in an outside environment, wherein there are disagreeable working conditions part of the time.
The physical activities are highly repetitive, and highly physical. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The incumbent frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The incumbent is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to lift or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Normal work schedule is 7:00am to 4:00pm Monday thru Friday; with a possible slight change during hotter weather
- Be subject to emergency call and on call duty
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted during the course of work
The position is a full time position with a benefits package that includes: paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave; APERS retirement, and health insurance.
An application can be obtained at City Hall located at 310 Maple Ave., by clicking on the following link: employment-application to download, and print. You may also request or e-mail your completed application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have further questions please call us at 479-752-3912.